Good afternoon, folks!
As you’ll have noticed, I’ve been queuing up some of my backlog of reviews — mostly written during the Final Fantasy XIV dungeon “The Praetorium”, since you get good items from it at the moment… but it has looooong unskippable cutscenes!
What have I been up to? Mostly playing Final Fantasy XIV, along with the Mass Effect remaster. If any of you play FFXIV, say hi sometime, we can run a dungeon or something! I’m on Cerberus server, and I can let you know my avatar’s name…
I have been reading a bit, though; I’ve gone back to reading a whole bunch of books at once, and I’m using Beeminder to help track them and keep me from putting them down and forgetting about them for ages. Here’s how I’m doing with Maryn McKenna’s Beating Back the Devil, for example!
Stacking the Shelves
This week I don’t have too many new books in — last week’s splurge was actually kind of out of character for me lately. However, I did pick up Tasha Alexander’s A Fatal Waltz in paperback, since it came back into stock, and I’ve just got a new book to review because I remembered one of you guys talking about it recently, and it has a pretty cover.
Books read this week
I’ve actually finished a few books this week, which isn’t so common lately!
Reviews posted this week
- Death in Fancy Dress, by Anthony Gilbert (3/5 stars) – A classic mystery
- Word by Word, by Kory Stamper (4/5 stars) – Non-fiction about writing a dictionary
- A Murderous Relation, by Deanna Raybourn (4/5 stars) – historical mystery and romance
- The Angel of the Crows, by Katherine Addison (5/5 stars) – Sherlock Holmes pastiche with a fantasy twist
- Long Live Latin, by Nicola Gardini (1/5 stars) – Non-fiction designed to get you reading Latin
So that’s it! What have you guys been stacking up, devouring, or flinging across the room in despair?