I feel like fewer and fewer of the Top Ten Tuesday lists lately are things I’m really interested in doing — possibly because now I’ve done so many that a lot of it feels like repetition. The theme this week, “books I wish had more or less X in them”, is fun, but my brain is dead because I have an ear infection. So noted for the future and here’s ten books I can see from where I’m sat and how excited I am about them.
- The Dragonbone Chair, by Tad Williams. Currently rereading this; 200 pages in. I do love the world and characters, and I remember thinking it was amazing the first time… but the fact that there’s four 900+ page books is a little daunting. I’m currently just trying to read 100 pages a day while also reading other things.
- Late Eclipses, by Seanan McGuire. Actually, I finished this one yesterday. I enjoyed it a lot — finally, some answers about Amandine!
- Deadline, by Mira Grant. It seems to be the year of Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant for me, so I think I’ll probably pick this up soon. Though I know I don’t like the protagonist as much as I liked the protagonist of the first book.
- Illuminae, by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. I have been meaning to read this for over a year now. I like the idea of the format, but I don’t know how I’m going to feel about the execution…
- The Vital Question, by Nick Lane. Apparently, it’s dense as heck. Buuut, it’s asking the big question about life: why? Why is it the way it is? So I’m rather intrigued.
- Europe in Autumn, by Dave Hutchinson. The idea of Europe splintering into dozens of tiny kingdoms feels a bit too on the nose right now…
- The Dark Forest, by Cixin Liu. I didn’t love the first book, but I did enjoy it, and I’m curious to see what happens now.
- War for the Oaks, by Emma Bull. I keep being told to read this, and now it’s been reissued and I have a copy, so… soon!
- Od Magic, by Patricia McKillip. It’s Patricia McKillip: I will get to this sometime, by hook or by crook. Her writing is gorgeous.
- A Darker Shade of Magic, by V.E. Schwab. It’s been long enough that I’m going to reread this before reading A Gathering of Shadows or the third book. Soooooon.
I hope you’ll all forgive me for going off the topic! My head is spinning a bit and I have work to be getting on with. Gah. Hope everyone’s doing well!